Thursday, 26 September 2013

Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation

The other week in Boots i couldnt resist picking up both foundation and powder from the Rimmel Stay Matte range - you can read my powder review here
The matte look is definitely one i try to achieve whenever doing my makeup. I easily end up with a slightly oily/greasy t-zone so always lean towards products to mattify rather than ones to leave me looking dewy with a glow ;)
Having heard good things about Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation i happily picked it up & trotted off to the till. I already knew the tube was rather on the small side being only 30ml but ive heard a little goes a long way so i didnt let this put me off. I do like to try out new foundations on the market but always find myself coming back to my trusty MAC Studio Fix Fluid and am yet to find a suitable, cheaper alternative.

Image: Cosmopolitan.co.uk
Rimmel claim Stay Matte is "a feather light liquid mousse that blends flawlessly for natural looking, all-day shine control" all of which sounds pretty good to me!!
When swatched i think a cross between liquid and mousse is a bit misleading. This foundation comes out of the tube very thick, but i think thats a good thing. If it was more of a liquid consistency it would be just the same as a million other foundations on the market at the moment.
I was a little bit worried that being a mattifying foundation is would highlight dry patches on my cheeks which i sometimes get and are heightened by fake tan on occasion. It definitely didnt at all. My face was 100% matte effect all day with no need for topups or any additional primer/powder like ive seen other reviewers suggesting is a must. Obviously primer and powder isnt going to hurt the longevity of the foundation but i think it does a pretty good job on its own.
A teeny pea sized blob of foundation really does go so far and definitely covers my whole face..and i like super full coverage. It applies really smoothly and i found it easy to blend.

1) Swatched, very thick almost toothpaste-like consistency
2) Swatch blended slightly
3) Swatch fully blended
I was really really impressed with this foundation and think for £5.99 it will definitely become a popular member of my makeup collection...especially when funds are low and im holding out until payday for more MAC Studio Fix! This is definitely an almost-as-good alternative, and for the price you definitely can't go wrong!!
What do you think of the Rimmel Stay Matte collection? Have you tried any of the Stay Blushed products?
XOXO